Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Speaking Portfolio

Date: 19 May 2010

Entry: 4

Reflection:

I Last Sunday I had a conversation with my aquiantance at work about half an houre during our break, he is a native english speaker. We talk about many things like study and some problems related to work with the managers or with aquiantances. During the conversation I did not find any cultural difference, we started our conversation saying how is your studying going?



when I asked him how are you? He said oh I am flat out then I asked him the meaning what he said, then he explained that it means (I am very busy). In the mean time I told him that you look upset is something wrong? then he said yeah my manager always brings me down, and I was feeling little bit uneasy to ask him about the meaning again, because I already asked him for one meaning so I just tried to guess that word and continued. When I back home I found it from someone else ( it means to make someone upset).



Our conversation was flow well, he was keep talking and I was asking some questions about his study also we shared lots of information about New Zealad qualifications.In the conversation he used lots of phrases like I can't stand it, sweet as and no worries but most of them I know so I did not have problems except the words flat out.


In my last conversation I used a new chunk, while we were talking he said I am planing to go to Sydney and spend lot of money, after that I commented that (you are well off) means you are rich, I have learned this words from somebody. I had some difficulty with some of the new chunks or phrases which people always use so I will try focus on the phrases and I am very glad that I learnt some words from this conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment